You have up to April 29 to cast your vote in favor of your favorite talent in this year’s edition of the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA).
The eighth edition of the AMVCA has been set for May 14 and Kenyan music couple Nameless and Wahu as well as actress Sarah Hassan will be contesting in the top content creators’ awards.
The AMVCA recognizes content creators in the entertainment industry from across Africa who are making a mark by producing movies, television products, or those driving creativity via social media channels.
This year’s edition shall be held in Lagos, Nigeria, and will see followers treated to a series of events starting with the opening night on May 7, the first-ever AMVCA runway show in partnership with Bella Naija Style the following day, and later the award gala on May 14.
MultiChoice Talent Factory Day with movie screenings and panel discussions by students from MTF academy will go down on May 9.
“We received a good number of quality entries from across the continent for this edition of the AMVCAs and we are pleased to reveal the final shortlist of nominees, which we are confident embody the excellence the awards is renowned for,” Executive Head of Content and West Africa Channels, MultiChoice Group, Dr Busola Tejumola, said.
“We are focused on shining the light on the many aspects that make the African film and television industry truly magical and beaming that magic to millions of Africans who watch the awards every year.”
This edition, which will be held after the 2021 suspension due to the Covid-19 pandemic, has seen nominees confirmed under 33 categories, including the newly introduced Best Online Social Content Creator category.
Other new categories will be the return of the Best Africa Magic Original Drama Series and Best Africa Magic Original Comedy Series.
Some of the other categories include Best Movie in Southern, East and West Africa, Best Director, and Best Cinematographer.
This year’s Best Soundtrack winner will take home roughly Kes275,000 sponsored by soft drinks maker Pepsi.
A total of 12 categories will be open to viewers’ vote while 21 will be decided by the AMVCA panel of judges headed by veteran filmmaker, Victor Okhai.
Viewers can join the conversation using the hashtag #AMVCA8 and follow @africamagictv for live tweets.
Some of the competing entries featuring Kenyans are:
Best Overall Movie
- Amina – Izu Ojukwu $ Okey Ogunjiofor
- Voiceless – Robert O. Peters & Rogers Ofime
- Rattlesnake – Ramsey Nouah $ Chris Odeh
- Collision Course – Bolanle Austen-Peters
- Omo Ghetto (The Saga) – JJC Skillz & Funke Akindele Bello
- Nneka The Pretty Serpent – Tosin Igho & Chris Odeh
- La Femme Anjola – Mildred Okwo & Rita Dominic
- Just in Time – Dolapo Adeleke & Sarah Hassan
Best Movie East Africa
- The Girl in the Yellow Jumper – Morocco Omari
- A Grand Little Lie – Denise Kibisu Ngubuini
- My Husbands Wife – Ndagire Mariam
- Just In Time – Sarah Hassan and Dalapo Adeleke
- Ugonjwa wa Kifo – Rhaphael Emmanuel
- Beautiful Ashes – Ayeny T. Steve
Best Actress in a Comedy (Movie/TV Series)
- Funke Akindele – Omo Ghetto (The Saga)
- Bimbo Ademoye – Breaded Life
- Nse Nkpe Etim – Quams Money
- Bisola Aiyeola – Dwindle
- Nancy Isime – Kambili: The Whole 30 Years
- Sarah Hassan – Just in Time
- Road2Blow – Taiwo Adeyemi
- Unmasked: Leadership, Trust and the Covid-19 pandemic in Nigeria – Femi Odugbemi
- This Love – Eugene Mbugua
- Sunset in Makoko – Allen Onyige
- If Objects could speak – Saitabao Kaiyare, Mumo Liku, Elena Schilling, Daniella Fritz, Ann Katrina Boberg
- Streets of Lagos: Dear Little People – Lawrence Adejumo
You can now register to vote on via Africa Magic website for your favorite AMVCA nominees. One must register with their name, surname, year of birth, gender, location, and cell phone number before or during the voting round.